STORM PREPAREDNESS INFORMATION
The latest predictions from the National Hurricane Center have put Florida squarely in the path of Tropical Storm Dorian. Even though it's still to early to know where the storm will strike, or if it will strengthen to a hurricane, it's not too early to start getting ready.
Even during a quiet season — as 2019 has been so far — it's important to remember it only takes one bad storm to devastate a coastal community. Preparation is key to ensuring you and your family stay safe during the storm and recover quickly afterward.
Our Hurricane Guide has all the information you need to be ready before, during and after a hurricane or tropical storm.
Before the storm
Know the risks
When you're making a hurricane plan, it's important to know the risks. Be aware of the storm's expected path and intensity and use that information when deciding whether to stay or go.
- To Do List Make a family plan. Who does what and where will your family ride out the storm.
- Know the disaster plan of your child’s school or daycare.
- Use a video camera to record the contents of your home and store video footage with a friend who lives out of town.
- Take pictures of important documents, photocopy important papers and store safely in a water proof container.
- Make plans to board your pet if you plan to go to a shelter. Obtain cash.
- Establish an out-of-state contact to call in case of emergency.
Here is the official Palm Beach County Hurricane Planning Guide